Air Conditioner Tips for Gainesville, Florida Apartment Residents
Air conditioners are essential in Gainesville, Florida, where outdoor temperatures reach into the nineties from at least May through September. In addition to the heat, Gainesville is also known for high humidity and infrequent breezes, leaving residents sweltering and searching for a cool place to relax.
Thankfully, most Gainesville, Florida apartments are equipped with a central air conditioning system to give residents respite from the tropical weather. But just like a car, air conditioners require regular TLC to give you the reliable service you need.
Gainesville, Florida apartment residents are advised to try the following tips to keep their air conditioners working properly:
- Change filters monthly. Many apartment communities provide free AC filters in the office for residents to pick up as needed.
- Report air conditioner problems to the management office promptly. Small AC problems will quickly become big problems. If you delay in reporting your AC problem, it may make the repair time (and your discomfort) more lengthy.
- To save electricity and reduce stress on the AC unit, keep the air conditioner turned on all day when it’s hot outside, even when you’re away from home. Set the AC at about 80-82 degrees while you’re gone, and then lower the temperature to the desired level when you return home. That way, your air conditioner won’t have to work overtime to cool your hot apartment.
- Make sure there are no obstructions to your air conditioner unit outside. AC units must be able to draw in the right amount of air, but can’t if they are covered with leaves or other obstructions.
- It is generally not a good idea to close vents in your apartment in order to force the cold air into one room. This can cause your AC unit to freeze up and stop working completely.
Finally, before hot weather arrives, it is a good idea to test your air conditioner to make sure it functions properly. It’s better to get your AC fixed in advance than wait until another infamous Gainesville, Florida summer begins and turns your apartment into a steam bath.