A Guide to Using Onions When Cooking at Our Gainesville, FL, Apartments
Onions are a versatile ingredient, and are used in many different recipes. They can be baked, boiled, braised, grilled, fried, roasted, sautéed, and even eaten raw. But, if you find a recipe that calls for onions, how do you know which kind to use? Onions range in color and size, and it’s important to know which ones will work the best with the different kinds of dishes you create.
Here’s a list of popular types of onions and the best ways to use them:
- Yellow onion – Finest all-around onion to cook with, and a great addition for soups, stews, and meat roasts
- Red onion – Perfect choice to eat raw; can be used in sandwiches, salads, and guacamole
- White onion – Crunchiest onion of the bunch; has a sharp tang that works best in salsas and stir-fries
- Sweet onion – Excellent option for frying, so is used often for onion rings and to accompany roasted vegetables
- Shallot – Gives off the most subtle flavor, which makes it a terrific choice for vinaigrettes, egg casseroles, and garnishes
To read more food and beverages articles, feel free to peruse our list of community articles on this website. If you are not a resident at our Gainesville, Florida, apartments – but would like to become one – we would love to take you on a tour of our community. The apartments at Bellamay Grand are beautiful, come in professional color schemes, and feature modern appliances. In addition, our residents enjoy the use of our swimming pool, theater room, business center, and air-conditioned full-sized indoor basketball court.