Drying Fruit for a Tasty Snack at Your Apartment in Gainesville, Florida
If you’ve ever wanted to enjoy a great tasting snack that is relatively healthy and can be eaten at any time of day, you should consider trying dried fruit. Although the most popular type of dried fruit is raisins (dried grapes), there is a tremendous variety of other dried fruits available. Dried fruit can be purchased at most supermarkets and organic food stores, but if you want to save money and have a little fun, you can always make your own dried fruit snacks.
With the full kitchens at our Bellamay Grand apartment homes, you’ll have all the space you need to make delicious dried fruit snacks. All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
- Pick a fruit. You can choose any variety you want, including mangoes, peaches, oranges, pineapples, pears, or anything else that strikes your fancy.
- Wash and peel the fruit. Remove any pits or seeds, and then proceed to cut the fruit into thin slices.
- Now it’s time to dry the fruit. Lay out your fruit slices on a non-stick cookie sheet or baking tray (nonstick aluminum foil is also an acceptable substitute) and bake the fruit on low heat (around 145 degrees) for up to four hours until the fruit is dry.
- Once the fruit is dry, you can pasteurize it by either freezing it for several days or heating it at 175 degrees for an extra 15 minutes.
- Once the fruit has been pasteurized thoroughly, let it cool (or thaw, depending on your method) until it reaches room temperature. Then, all you have to do is seal up your dried fruit in a plastic bag in your fridge and enjoy it whenever you feel like a light snack.
For additional tips about food or apartment living, feel free to browse our extensive list or articles on this website. If you are not yet a resident of Bellamay Grand but are searching for an apartment in Gainesville, Florida, please contact our leasing office today.