Writing a Novel or Short Story at Your Gainesville, Florida Apartment
At Bellamay Grand Apartment Homes, our spacious apartment units are a perfect place to write a short story or novel. Whether you’re a veteran author or are just trying out writing for the first time, carefully crafting and completing a story can be a highly rewarding experience. While it takes patience and a fair bit of motivation, in the end, completing a story you’re satisfied with is an experience well worth the effort.
Especially if you’re just starting out, here are a few helpful tips that can possibly make your writing experience easier:
- Plan it out – Create an outline to diagram your story before you begin to write. Take the time to define your characters and develop a beginning, middle, and end to your plot. While some writers prefer outlines that look like bare-bones sketches, and others put together plans that are as detailed as blueprints, in general, the more you have planned out in advance, the smoother your writing experience will be.
- Ask for advice – Don’t be afraid to ask for opinions and advice from friends or family, especially if they are avid readers or writers themselves. If you’re not sure about a certain character decision or plot point, run it by them to see if it makes sense.
- Take a break – If you’re absolutely stuck, edit what you’ve already written. If you finish editing and nothing new has come up, take a break from what you’ve written and come back to it in a couple of days. The fresh perspective might not only yield further edits, but will also likely help you continue writing.
- Don’t be afraid to revise – While on the topic of editing, don’t be afraid to write multiple drafts of your story. Even the best writers rarely write a good draft on their first go. Kurt Vonnegut famously said that there are two types of writers – swoopers, who will write a rough draft quickly in its entirety and then go back through to edit it all, and bashers, who will painstakingly revise every line they write before proceeding. No matter what you prefer, extensive editing and proofing is essential to a good finished product.
- Embrace your style – Everyone has their own style, and what works for you as a writer will differ from almost everyone else. This difference includes not only stylistic differences in prose, but also in what atmosphere and writing habits work best for you. In the end, the key is to experiment with different ideas until you find what works for you, and once you do, stick with it.
Hopefully, these tips will help you get started on putting together a great short story or novel at your Gainesville, Florida apartment. If you’re not yet a resident of Bellamay Grand, or are looking to move into the Gainesville area, call our leasing office today for more information about our beautifully designed apartment homes. If you stop by our community, one of our representatives will be more than happy to give you a personal tour of our available units and many amenities.